- Serves: 10-12
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes plus 4-5 hrs setting time
- Effort: medium
For the sponge
- 200 g caster sugar
- 5 eggs
- 200 g plain flour
- 100 g clarified butter
For the coffee syrup
- 2 shots espresso coffee
- 100 ml water
- 2 shots whiskey
- 50 g caster sugar
For the chocolate truffle mix
- 450 g dark chocolate
- 1 shots whiskey
- 1 shots espresso coffee
- 600 ml double cream
- whipped cream
- seasonal mixed summer berries
1. Line a 4cm (depth) x 25 cm (diameter) round cake tin with cling film.
2. Preheat the oven to 160C/gas 2. Cover a baking tray with a sheet of baking parchment that has been lightly buttered and dusted with flour.
3. Whisk the sugar and the eggs together. Fold in the flour then the butter.
4. Spread the mixture over the parchment and baked for 8-10 minutes, until the sponge is just cooked; leave to cool.
5. Cut the sponge and use to line the cake tin.
6. Heat all the ingredients for the coffee syrup together and bubble for 1-2 minutes, until the sugar has dissolved. Spoon over the sponge.
7. To make the chocolate truffle mix, melt the chocolate, whisky and espresso together in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water.
8. Add half of the cream and stir.
9. Whisk the remaining cream to soft peaks and fold into the chocolate mixture. Pour into the mould and leave for 4-5 hours to set.
10. To serve, remove the truffle cake from the mould by pulling the clingfilm out of the mould. Serve in slices, with whipped cream and seasonal berries.
Rate This Recipe