- Serves: 8
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the cake
- 100 g drinking chocolate
- 230 g self-raising flour
- 200 g caster sugar
- 100 g dark chocolate, minimum 60% cocoa solids
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 250 g cooked beetroot, (not pickled!)
- 3 large eggs, beaten
For the cream cheese icing
- 250 g cream cheese
- 60 g unsalted butter, soft
- 200 g icing sugar
For the chocolate ganache
- 250 g whipping cream
- 250 g dark chocolate, chopped
- grated white chocolate, to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Grease and line a 25cm deep round cake tin
3. Sift the drinking chocolate with the self-raising flour into a mixing bowl, and then mix in the sugar.
4. Melt the chocolate and butter together in a bowl over hot (not boiling) water.
5. Purée the cooked beetroot in a food processor, then whisk in the beaten eggs.
6. Add the beetroot and the chocolate mixtures to the dry ingredients and mix together thoroughly.
7. Pour the mixture into a greased lined 25cm cake tin. Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
8. Remove from the oven and leave the cake to stand in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
9. Split the cake in half.
10. To make the filling: beat the cream cheese icing ingredients together until creamy and spread liberally on the bottom half of the cake. Place the other half of the cake on top.
11. To make the chocolate ganache: heat the cream in a pan and bring just to boiling point, then remove the pan from the heat.
12. Place a damp towel on the worktop and place the pan of hot cream on this.
13. Add the chopped chocolate to the cream and beat vigorously until thoroughly mixed. Allow to cool slightly.
14. Spread the ganache on top of the cake and leave to set.
15. Sprinkle with the white chocolate to decorate.
Rate This Recipe