- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 280 g butter, softened
- 280 g sugar
- 5 eggs
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 115 g cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp milk
For the orange cream:
- 2 x 250g tubs mascarpone
- 75 ml double cream
- grated zest of 1 large oranges
- icing sugar, to taste
For the chilli chocolate sauce:
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- juice of 1 oranges
- 100 g dark chocolate
- 1-2 tsp green Tabasco sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar in a food processor. Gradually add the eggs, blending after each addition.
3. Sift together the flour and cocoa. Add the sifted ingredients to the processor with the milk and pulse briefly until just mixed in.
4. Pour the cake mix into two greased and lined 20cm square cake tins. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until just cooked. Allow to cool slightly in the tins.
5. Meanwhile, prepare the orange cream. Mix together the marscapone, cream and orange zest in a bowl and sweeten to taste with icing sugar.
6. To serve thickly spread one cake with the orange cream and carefully sit the remaining cake on top.
7. Make the chilli chocolate sauce. Place the golden syrup and orange juice in a small bowl over a pan of simmering water and gently heat.
8. Break in the chocolate and stir until smooth. Add the Tabasco sauce and mix well.
9. Cut the cake into large squares and serve generously drizzled with the hot chocolate sauce.
Rate This Recipe