- Serves: Makes 35-40
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 35 minutes plus overnight chilling
- Effort: medium
- 350 g dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids broken in pieces
- 350 g unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
- 3 eggs
- 500 g self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 5 tbsp freshly made espresso coffee
- sifted icing sugar, for dusting
- 450 g light muscovado sugar
1. Melt the butter and chocolate together in a bowl set over a pan of boiling water.
2. Whisk the eggs and sugar in a food processor or standing mixer for 3-4 minutes until pale and thick.
3. Sift the flour and baking soda into a bowl.
4. Tip the egg and sugar mixture into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the warm chocolate mix and the espresso. Carefully fold in the sifted flour and baking soda, using a large metal spoon.
5. Cover with cling film and leave in the fridge, overnight or for at least a couple of hours.
6. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
7. Divide the mixture into walnut-sized balls, then roll them in sifted icing sugar.
8. Place on the baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool on a rack.
Rate This Recipe