- Serves: 15 croissants
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 4 hours chilling plus overnight resting
- Effort: hard
- 20 g fresh yeast
- 625 g strong bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 75 g caster sugar
- 500 g chilled butter
- 1 eggs, beaten for egg wash
- 150 g chocolate
- 1 tbsp apricot jam
1. Dilute the yeast with a little warm water and mix in a large bowl with the flour, salt and sugar.
2. Mix in a little water until the dough becomes pliable. Then tip the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes until elastic. Refrigerate for one hour.
3. Roll the chilled dough into a rectangle, evenly spread a third of the butter over the dough. Fold the top third of the dough into the centre, then fold the bottom third up. Turn the dough so the fold is on your right. Refrigerate for another hour.
9. Roll out the dough to the same size rectangle as before. Smear again with butter and repeat the folding process, and refrigerate for a further hour.
11. Repeat this process once more, then leave the dough to rest, wrapped in cling film overnight.
12. Roll out the dough to 3 mm and cut into 7.5 x 13cm rectangles. Put a piece of chocolate at the short end of each rectangle and roll up each rectangle over the filling into a croissant-shaped parcel.
14. Brush each croissant with egg wash, put on a lined baking tray and leave to rise for two hours.
15. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas 6.
16. Bake the croissants for 20 minutes until golden brown, then remove and brush with warm apricot jam.
Rate This Recipe