- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus chilling
- Effort: medium
For the delice
- 80 g egg yolks
- 90 g caster sugar
- 300 ml milk
- 250 ml double cream
- 250 g dark chocolate, (minimum 60% cocoa solids) chopped or grated
For the PX roast grapes
- 24 red seedless grapes
- 80 ml PX sherry
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
For the vanilla cream
- 1 vanilla pod, cut into 12 pieces
- 250 g caster sugar
- 150 ml double cream
- 2 handfuls raspberries
- small handful toasted flaked almonds
Tips and Suggestions
The roast grapes can be cooked in the oven at the same time as the lamb.
The vanilla sugar recipe will make more than you need. Each time you use the sugar, simply sieve the sugar, returning the vanilla bits and a little extra sugar to the jar.
1. To make the delice: whisk the egg yolks with half the sugar until pale.
2. Place the remaining sugar in a pan with the milk and cream and bring to a simmer.
3. Pour half the hot cream over the egg yolks, whisking continuously, then return the mix to the simmering cream in the pan and cook over a medium heat, stirring constantly until the custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
4. Place the chocolate in a bowl and pour over the custard, mixing until the chocolate melts. Pour through a sieve into a shallow dish. Press some baking parchment onto the surface and leave to cool, and then place in the fridge to firm up.
5. To make the roast grapes: preheat the oven to 160C/gas 3.
6. Place the grapes in a ceramic (or non-reactive) roasting dish just large enough to hold them and drizzle with the PX sherry, water and olive oil.
7. Roast for about 20 minutes until the grapes begin to swell up and become quite firm. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
8. To make the vanilla cream: place the vanilla pod and sugar into a food processor and blitz for 2 minutes, at which point the sugar will be full of seeds. Store in an airtight jar. Sift 2 tablespoons of the vanilla sugar.
9. Whisk the cream with the sieved sugar to form soft peaks.
10. To serve: using 2 large spoons scoop the delice into oval shapes and place the ovals (quenelles) on a flat plate, making an indentation in the centre. Scoop the vanilla cream in the same way and place in the indentation. Place the grapes and raspberries around the quenelles and scatter with the almonds.
Rate This Recipe