- Serves: 12
- Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus marinating
- Effort: easy
- 50 g glacé cherries, chopped
- 175 g candied lemon and candied orange peel, chopped
- 50 g raisins
- 30 g sour dried cherries
- 175 ml dark rum
- 100 g whole toasted hazelnuts
- 85 g blanched almonds
- 85 g whole almonds
- 85 g blanched flaked almonds
- 125 g unsalted butter, softened
- 50 g caster sugar
- 100 g plain flour
- 3 eggs
- 175 g ground almonds
- zest of 1 lemons
- 450 g clear honey
- 1 tbsp apricot jam
- 300 g Belgian chocolate
Tips and Suggestions
Can be frozen for 2 months or kept well wrapped for up to 2 weeks.
Aga: Put cake tin into cake baking oven and cook for approximately 1¾ to 2 hours.
1. Roughly chop the cherries, and candied peel and put them into a large bowl. Add the raisins and sour cherries and marinate for a minimum of one hour in the rum (the longer you marinate the better!).
2. Set the oven to 140°C/gas 1. Lightly grease a 23cm cake tin and line with greaseproof paper. Roast the hazelnuts and blanched almonds until brown. Peel and roughly chop the all of the whole nuts.
3. Cream the butter and sugar, sift in the flour then add the eggs one at a time, Add 100g of the ground almonds and mix well. Mix the lemon zest with the marinating fruit along with the honey and the conserve.
4. Add the fruit and nuts to the butter and sugar mixture along with the remaining ground almonds and the chocolate. Pour into the cake tin and cook for between 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Cool in tin.
Rate This Recipe