- Serves: 8-10
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 225 g dark chocolate
- 225 g unsalted butter
- 345 g caster sugar, plus an extra pinch
- 6 eggs, separated into yolks and whites
- 120 g ground almonds
- 145 g soft white breadcrumbs
- 30 g plain flour
- 4 tsp vanilla essence
- coffee ice cream, to serve
For the icing
- 85 g cocoa powder
- 225 g icing sugar
- 130 g butter
- 170 g caster sugar
- 6 tbsp water
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/gas 3. Grease and line a 24cm round cake tin.
2. For the cake: melt the chocolate in a double boiler, or in a bowl placed over a pan of boiling water.
3. Cream the butter with 345g sugar until pale and softened.
4. Gradually beat in the egg yolks and stir in the almonds. Fold in the cool melted chocolate, breadcrumbs, flour and vanilla essence.
5. In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites with a pinch of sugar until stiff but not dry. Fold into the cake mixture and pour into the prepared cake tin.
6. Bake for 1 hour until firm to the touch.
7. For the icing: sieve the cocoa and icing sugar into a bowl.
8. Warm the butter, sugar and water in a microwave or double boiler and simmer until the sugar has dissolved.
9. Add the liquid to the dry mixture and combine until thickened.
10. Spread the icing over the cooled cake.
11. Coffee ice cream makes a great pairing with this cake.
Looking for more fudge ideas? Check out our Best ever fudge recipes.
Rate This Recipe