- Serves: Makes 3 litres
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus cooling and freezing
- Effort: medium
- 100 g dark chocolate, (72% cocoa solids), broken in small pieces
- 250 g sugar
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 250 ml single cream, calded
- 100 ml Grand Marnier, or other orange-flavoured liqueur
- 1 tbsp orange rind, finely grated
- 500 ml whipping cream, whipped
Tips and Suggestions
Use as an accompaniment to cakes, pies and fresh fruits, or as a shake.
1. Put the chocolate in a double boiler or heat-proof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Melt over low heat.
2. Raise the heat to medium, and add the sugar and the beaten egg yolks, whisking constantly.
3. Stir in the scalded cream. Simmer for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened.
4. Remove from the heat. Add the Grand Marnier and the orange zest. Leave to cool.
5. When cool, fold in the whipped cream.
6. Freeze in an ice cream maker following the manufacturer's instructions.
Rate This Recipe