- Serves: 6
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 2 hrs chilling
- Effort: easy
- 6x diameter rounds of light plain sponge cakes, about 5mm thick
- dashes of brandy
- 115 g dark chocolate
- 5 eggs, whites only
- 50 g caster sugar
- 300 ml double cream, lightly whipped
For the decoration
- strawberries, halved
- small sprigs mint
- icing sugar
- cocoa powder
1. Brush the rounds of sponge lightly with a little brandy and place one in the bottom of each of 6 x 6cm round moulds.
2. Break the chocolate into squares and put into a heatproof bowl.
3. Place the bowl over a pan of hot (not boiling) water over a very low heat and let the chocolate melt, stirring constantly. Be careful not to let the chocolate overheat or the flavour and texture will be impaired. Remove the bowl from the pan.
4. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
5. Fold the sugar into the egg whites, then fold in the whipped cream.
6. Fold this mixture into the cooled chocolate.
7. Spoon the chocolate mousse mixture into the moulds and put them into the fridge to set for about 2 hours.
8. When ready to serve, run a warmed knife around the outside of each of the moulds and then invert them to turn out the marquises on 6 serving plates.
9. Decorate with strawberry halves and mint sprigs, then dust lightly with icing sugar and cocoa powder.
Rate This Recipe