- Serves: makes 1 cake
- Cook Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus 2 hrs marinating
- Effort: easy
- 110 g dark chocolate, broken into squares or finely chopped
- 110 g unsalted butter, softened
- 3 eggs, separated
- 30 g plain flour
- 110 g caster sugar
- 450 g strawberries
- 'slug' of amaretto (almond liqueur)
- sugar, to taste
- 150 ml whipping cream, whipped
- 220 g mascarpone
1. Mix together the strawberries, Amaretto and sugar and set aside to macerate for 2 hours.
2. Preheat the oven to 170°C/gas 3.
3. Melt the chocolate in a bowl suspended over a pan of simmering water. As soon as the chocolate has melted take it off the heat.
4. Beat 55g of butter into the melted chocolate, adding it a little at a time.
5. Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time, mixing thoroughly.
6. In a mixing bowl, mix together the flour with the remaining butter until evenly mixed. Stir in the chocolate mixture, mixing thoroughly.
7. Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add 55g of caster sugar and whisk again until thick and shiny. Fold in the remaining sugar, forming a meringue mixture.
8. Lightly fold the meringue mixture into the chocolate mixture and pour into a well-buttered, base-lined 20cm cake tin.
9. Stand the filled cake tin in a deep roasting tray and pour in hot water around the tin to half-fill the tray. If the cake tin is a loose-based one, wrap the outside with tin foil to avoid any leaking.
10. Bake the chocolate cake in the water-filled roasting tray for 1 hour 15 minutes.
11. Remove from the oven and cool. Turn out just before serving.
12. Fold the whipped cream into the marscapone. Serve the chocolate cake with the marscapone cream and the strawberries.
Rate This Recipe