- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the pancakes
- 175 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 50 g sugar
- 25 g cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 50 g butter, melted
- 250 ml milk
- oil, for frying
For the chestnut cream
- 200 g vacuum-packed cooked chestnuts
- 15 g icing sugar
- 175 ml whipping cream, whipped
- 1 vanilla pod
For the chocolate sauce
- 150 ml water
- 200 g dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids
- 50 ml dark rum
- 25 g sugar
- 25 g butter
- chocolate shavings, to decorate
1. To make the pancakes, mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda, sugar and cocoa together in a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, beat together the egg, melted butter and milk.
3. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and beat until smooth.
4. Lightly oil a frying pan and place over a moderate heat. Spoon a ladleful of the batter into the pan - enough to cover the base in a thin layer. Cook for I minute on each side.
5. Repeat, to make 8 pancakes in total.
6. Meanwhile, make the chestnut cream. Put the chestnuts and sugar into a blender and whiz until smooth.
7. Cut the vanilla pod in half and scrape out the seeds. Add to the chestnut mixture and stir well.
8. For the chocolate sauce, bring the water, chocolate, rum and sugar to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
9. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter.
10. Serve the pancakes with the chestnut cream and chocolate sauce. Decorate with chocolate shavings.
Rate This Recipe