- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 250 g sweet shortcrust pastry
- 85 g plain flour
- 55 g ground almonds
- 115 g caster sugar
- 115 g butter, cubed and softened
- 3 to 4 ripe but firm pears, (or 3-4 canned pears)
- 4 large eggs
- 55 g nibbed hazelnuts
- 250 g dark chocolate, grated
- grated zest of 1 oranges
- a few drops of vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp apricot jam
- 2 tbsp water
- ice cream or amaretto-flavoured custard, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/gas 3.
2. Finely roll out the pastry and use the pastry to line a greased 23cm loose-based flan tin.
3. Prick the base of the tart several times with a fork to prevent the pastry rising.
4. In a mixing bowl, rub together the flour, ground almonds, sugar and softened butter until the mixture resembles crumbs.
5. Using your fingertips, mix in the eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly with each addition until the mixture forms a paste.
6. Add the hazelnuts, chocolate, orange zest and vanilla flavouring and fold together.
7. Peel and core the pears and slice into halves lengthways.
8. Place the pear halves in the pastry case and spread over the chocolate mixture.
9. Bake the tart for around 40 minutes until set. To test the tart insert a small knife tip into the tart and remove it. If the knife comes out clean then the tart is cooked through.
10. Meanwhile, mix together the jam and water in a small saucepan and gently heat.
11. Remove the baked tart from the oven and lightly brush with the warm apricot glaze.
12. Serve at once with ice cream or amaretto-flavoured custard.
Rate This Recipe