- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus overnight freezing
- Effort: easy
- 250 g dark chocolate
- 250 g unsalted butter
- 125 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp ground star anise, remove seeds from pod, crush in pestle and mortar
- 5 whole eggs
- 5 egg yolks
- 50 g plain flour
- 1 pinch salt
Mascarpone ice cream
- 350 ml water
- 150 g caster sugar
- 2 lemons, finely grated zest and juice
- 400 g mascarpone
1. Start both ice cream and cake the day before. For the ice cream, simply boil the water, sugar and lemon zest in a saucepan. Once the sugar has dissolved, remove from the heat and stir in the mascarpone with the lemon juice. Cool and chill in an ice cream machine (be careful not to over-churn). Freeze in a suitable container.
2. For the chocolate pudding, melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl over a saucepan of hot water. Whisk up the sugar, powdered anise, eggs and egg yolks in a bowl until light and pale. Slowly add the melted chocolate to the egg-sugar mixture. Carefully fold in the flour and salt. Pour the mixture into little 200ml non-stick moulds, filling half of the way up. Chill in the fridge overnight.
3. Next day, preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
4. Remove the pudding batter from the fridge, bring to room temperature and bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, no longer. The outside of the cake mix should be set firm yet the middle will remain molten.
5. Serve the cake hot with the mascarpone ice cream.
Rate This Recipe