- Serves: Makes 20 balls
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 65 g dark brown sugar
- 165 ml boiling water
- 250 g glutinous rice flour
- 65 g dark chocolate, in small pieces
- 65 g white sesame seeds
- 750 ml vegetable oil, for deep frying
1. Tip the brown sugar into a heatproof jug and pour on the boiling water and stir to dissolve.
2. Sieve the rice flour into a bowl and make a well in the centre. Mix in the sugar mixture and knead together to make a soft but not sticky dough.
3. Dust your hands with rice flour and shape the dough into balls, roughly the size of golf balls.
4. Using your fingers, press an indentation in each dough ball to make a cup shape. Place a piece of dark chocolate inside each cup and press the edges of the dough around the chocolate so that the filling is completely covered.
5. Roll the balls in your hands so that they're all evenly shaped, and then coat each ball in sesame seeds.
6. Melt the remaining 300g chocolate in a double boiler or in a heatproof bowl placed over a pan of simmering water.
7. Heat the oil in a wok over a moderate heat and deep-fry the sesame seed balls, a few at a time, until the sesame seeds turn golden brown and the balls start floating to the surface. This should take around 3-4 minutes.
8. Drain them on absorbent paper and arrange on a serving plate. Pour over the melted chocolate and serve warm.
Rate This Recipe