- Serves: 6-10
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 110 g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 110 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 110 g self-raising flour
- pinches salt
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 50 g ground almonds
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 175 g golden marzipan, rolled to a 20cm round
- 175 g white marzipan, rolled to a 20cm round
For the icing
- 250 g chocolate
- 200 ml creme fraiche
- icing sugar
- 12 chocolate truffles
- handfuls glazed almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4 and grease a 20cm cake tin with a little butter.
2. Beat the butter with a wooden spoon in a mixing bowl until smooth, add the sugar and cream for 10 minutes, or until light pale and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing all the time. Fold in the flour, salt and cocoa powder; then stir in the ground almonds and maple syrup.
4. Pour half of the mixture into the tin, place a layer of the golden marzipan on top and then cover with a layer of the white marzipan. Add the remaining cake mixture to the tin and level the top.
5. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes, or until the cake is set on top and coming away from the sides of the tin slightly.
6. Cool on a wire rack.
7. For the icing: break the chocolate into pieces and melt in a bain-marie (a bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water), not allowing the base of the bowl to touch the pan. Once the chocolate is melted, add the crème fraîche to the bowl and mix until smooth. Add icing sugar to taste.
8. Once cool, turn the cake out onto a serving plate and cover with the chocolate icing, top with the truffles and glazed almonds. Serve in slices.
Rate This Recipe