- Serves: 10
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: medium
- 300 g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- plain flour, for dusting
- 400 g dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids broken into pieces
- 10 eggs, separated
- 225 g caster sugar
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- mascarpone, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Grease and flour a 30 x 7.5cm rectangular cake tin.
2. Place the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, making sure that the bowl does not touch the water. Sitr until melted and smooth.
3. Remove the bowl from the pan, allow to cool slightly, then whisk in the egg yolks.
4. Add the sugar and cocoa powder and mix well.
5. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold the whites into the chocolate mixture, a third at a time.
6. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until the cake has risen like a soufflé and is slightly set. Leave to cool in the tin.
7. Turn the cake out and serve with quenelles of mascarpone.
Rate This Recipe