- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 1 hour chilling
- Effort: easy
For the Nutella ice cream
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 284 ml double cream
- 100 ml milk
- 200 g Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread
For the soufflé with Mars Bars
- 1 x 85 g mars bar
- 40 g butter
- 100 g dark chocolate
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 1 1/2 tbsp warm water
- 20 g corn or rice flour
- 190 ml full-fat milk
- 20 g caster sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- pinches of salt
- icing sugar
1. For the Nutella ice cream: break the eggs into a deep bowl, then add the sugar. Beat with an electric whisk for one minute, or until pale and frothy. Pour in the cream and whisk for another 20 seconds, then add the milk and whisk for a further 10 seconds.
2. Slowly add the Nutella into the mixture, whisking continually, until all of the Nutella is incorporated and the mixture is smooth and creamy. Pour the mixture into the freezing bowl of your ice-cream machine and churn until set; or pour into a plastic container, and place into the freezer, remembering to give it a stir every 20 minutes to break up the large ice crystals, or until frozen.
3. For the soufflé with Mars Bars: divide the Mars Bar into four pieces and place into the freezer to firm up for 20-30 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5.
5. Melt half of the butter and use to grease four ramekins.
6. Break up the chocolate into small pieces and put into a saucepan. Dissolve the instant coffee granules in a small bowl with the warm water and pour into the pan with the chocolate. Warm over a low heat for 4-5 minutes, or until the chocolate is melted. Stir well to combine with the coffee, then remove from the heat and keep warm (submerged in a bowl of hot water) until needed.
7. In another saucepan, beat the corn or rice flour with three tablespoons of the milk until well combined and smooth, then beat in the rest of the cold milk and sugar.
8. Place the pan over a medium heat and stir the mixture constantly until it comes to a boil. Cook for one minute, until the mixture is thick and sticky, then turn off the heat and stir in the melted chocolate. Beat the egg yolks into the mixture, until well combined.
9. In a bowl, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed from the bowl. Add the rest of the sugar and beat to stiff peaks.
10. Carefully stir one-third of the stiff egg whites into the chocolate mixture, then fold in the rest.
11. Fill the ramekins halfway with the soufflé mixture, then place one Mars Bars piece on top of the mixture in each. Cover with the rest of the chocolate soufflé mixture.
12. Carefully place the soufflés into the oven and bake for 25 minutes. or until risen and cooked through.
13. Spoon the Nutella ice cream onto serving plates, then remove the soufflés from the oven, dust with icing sugar and place on the plates to serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe