- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus chilling and setting
- Effort: medium
- 200 g flour
- 125 g caster sugar
- 125 g unsalted butter, cubed and at room temperature
- 45 g cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs
- 25 g dark chocolate
- icing sugar, for dusting
- crème fraîche, double cream or ice cream, to serve
For the filling
- 500 g dark chocolate
- 200 ml milk
- 350 ml double cream
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- 3 eggs
For the ganache
- 250 g dark chocolate
- 60 g unsalted butter
- 250 ml double cream
- 1 tbsp brandy
1. Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, butter cubes and cocoa powder
2. Blend together, add the eggs and mix together well. Once blended to a firm paste, allow to rest in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
3. Using a grater, grate the dough into the flan tin evenly over the base. Then, using your fingers, press down all over to form the base and shape the dough up around the side of the tin.
4. Grate over the dark chocolate and place the tart shell back into the fridge to rest for 20 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
6. To make the filling; melt the chocolate gently in a mixing bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water.
7. In a separate pan heat the milk and cream with the vanilla pod.
8. Pour the warm milk and cream over the eggs, whisking constantly. Discard the vanilla pod.
9. Gently fold the melted chocolate into this mixture.
10. Remove the tart shell from the fridge, pour in the filling and place straight into the oven.
11. After 5 minutes turn the oven down to 110C/gas 1/4, and cook for 10-20 minutes.
12. Finally turn the oven off and leave the tart in there for about 25 minutes then remove.
13. To make the ganache; melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water.
14. When melted, stir in the butter, remove from the heat and allow to cool for at least 20 minutes.
15. Whisk the double cream until just peaking and then mix in the brandy.
16. Fold the cream gently into the cooled chocolate mixture.
17. Pour the mixture into a deep sided baking tray and place in the fridge for 20 minutes until set.
18. Drag a dessertspoon along the top of the ganache to form curls (one for each serving) and place on top of the tart.
19. Dust with icing sugar and serve with a spoonful of crème fraîche.
Rate This Recipe