- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus 25 mins resting and cooling
- Effort: easy
- 200 g sweet shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg yolk, beaten with a little water
- 400 g dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids finely chopped
- 150 ml milk
- 250 ml double cream
- 2 eggs, beaten
- grated zest of 1 oranges
- lightly whipped cream, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
2. Roll out the pastry and use the pastry to line a loose-based, 23cm flan tin, allowing some overhang.
3. Lightly prick the base of the pastry case. Cover with cling film and fill with baking beans.
4. Bake blind for 10 minutes in the oven.
5. Remove the cling film and beans, trim the edges and bake for a further 5 minutes.
6. Brush the pastry case with the beaten yolk mixture to glaze it. Return to the oven for a further 5 minutes to seal the glaze then remove and set aside.
7. Meanwhile, place the chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl and the beaten eggs in a separate large mixing bowl.
8. Heat together the milk and cream in a saucepan just to boiling point.
9. Pour the hot milk mixture onto the chocolate, whisking until the chocolate has melted and is thoroughly mixed in.
10. Pour the chocolate mixture onto the beaten eggs, whisking well as you do so.
11. Strain the chocolate mixture through a fine sieve into a large jug.
12. Place the blind baked pastry case in the oven. Carefully pour the chocolate mixture into the pastry case.
13. Bake the chocolate tart for 25 minutes, until the filling is just beginning to set.
14. Turn off the oven and leave the tart in the warm oven for 30 minutes, before removing and allowing to cool.
15. Once the tart is completely cool carefully remove it from the tin.
16. Fold the orange peel into the whipped cream and serve the tart with the orange cream.
Rate This Recipe