- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 300 g dark cooking chocolate
- 6 egg yolks
- 100 g caster sugar
- dashes of vanilla extract
- 200 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 egg whites
- 100 g ground almonds
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- sugar, (optional)
- crème fraîche, (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3.
2. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of boiling water, making sure that the bowl does not touch the water. Then set aside to cool.
3. Beat the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla together until pale and creamy. Continue beating and slowly drizzle in all of the melted chocolate.
4. Cut butter into cubes and add gradually to the mixture whilst beating.
5. In a separate bowl mix the almond meal, corn flour and baking powder together. Then add to chocolate mixture and stir until well combined.
6. Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt to soft peaks and fold into the cake mixture.
7. Bake in a lined cake tin for about 30 minutes until just firm.
8. Serve with spun sugar and crème fraîche if desired.
Rate This Recipe