- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: medium
- 150 g dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids broken in pieces
- 150 g butter
- 1 tbsp brandy
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 120 g vanilla sugar
- 30 g flour, sifted
- 3 eggs, separated, yolks lightly beaten
- 300 ml double cream, whipped
- 3 tbsp grated chocolate
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
2. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler, or a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water.
3. Add the butter and stir until liquid. Add the brandy and vanilla extract, then the vanilla sugar. Keep stirring until the mixture has lost its grainy consistency.
4. Pour the mixture into a large bowl. Fold in the sifted flour and the three beaten egg yolks.
5. Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Using a metal spoon, fold into the chocolate mixture a spoonful at a time.
6. Pour the mixture into an ovenproof dish. Place in a roasting pan and add enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the dish.
7. Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 180°C/gas 4 and bake for a further 30 minutes.
8. Remove from the oven and leave in the dish to cool.
9. Smooth the whipped cream over the top, and sprinkle with grated chocolate.
Rate This Recipe