- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 150 g butter
- 400 g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 150 g granulated sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
For the glaze
- 175 ml double cream
- 175 g dark chocolate, broken into very small pieces
- whipped cream
- cocoa powder
1. Preheat the oven to 150C/gas 2. Butter a 22cm cake tin and line the base with greaseproof paper.
2. Melt the butter and chocolate together in a large bowl over a pan of barely simmering water and stir constantly until smooth and glossy. Remove from the heat and cool until tepid, then beat in the sugar and egg yolks.
3. Place the egg whites into a large bowl and whisk until soft peaks form. Use a rubber spatula or large metal spoon to stir a quarter of the egg whites gently into the chocolate mixture to loosen it, then fold in the rest of the egg whites until no large streaks of white remain. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 45 minutes until the top feels firm but the interior still has a slight wobble. Leave to cool in the tin.
4. For the glaze: heat the cream in a small pan until just below simmering. Remove from heat and add the chocolate. Leave to stand for 1 minute before stirring until you have a glossy ganache. Leave to cool until slightly thickened.
5. Run a knife carefully around the sides of the tin, then turn out and peel off the paper. Reinvert onto a serving dish, spread the glaze over the cake and leave to set before cutting into slices. Dust each with cocoa powder and serve with a spoonful of whipped cream.
Healthy tip: This chocolate truffle torte should be eaten in small amounts or as an occasional treat. Try serving with half fat crème fraiche instead of whipped cream. For more information on healthy eating see eatwell.gov.uk.
Rate This Recipe