- Serves: makes 24-30
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus overnight refrigeration
- Effort: easy
- 80 ml double cream
- 200 g good-quality dark chocolate, (70 per cent cocoa solids), broken into pieces
- 30 g unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 4 tbsp rum
- 2 tbsp strong coffee, made with boiling water
- about 100 g good-quality cocoa powder, for rolling
Tips and Suggestions
Make sure you dont overfill the saucepan with water. Getting steam in the chocolate will cause it to stiffen up and become dull-looking.
1. Pour the cream into a small heavy-based saucepan and bring to the boil, then remove from the heat immediately.
2. Rest a heatproof bowl on top of a saucepan 1/3 filled with water (you will need enough water to come close to the bottom of your bowl when you sit it on top, but not actually to touch it.) Turn the heat down low and bring the water to a simmer.
3. Put the broken chocolate into the heatproof bowl. Let the chocolate melt slowly, then remove from the heat and mix in the hot cream, stirring well.
4. Whisk the cubes of butter into the chocolate and cream mixture, and then add the rum and coffee and stir well. Pour the mixture into a shallow dish to cool and set, and put into the fridge to set overnight.
5. Next morning, break the set chocolate mixture into small, irregular nuggets and then roll in the cocoa powder.
Rate This Recipe