- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus soaking and freezing
- Effort: medium
- 225 g dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids (at least 60% cocoa solids)
- 225 g butter
- 2 eggs
- 85 g caster sugar
- 150 g pitted prunes, soaked in dark rum, 75g of which halved and 75g of which chopped
- 75 g walnut halves
- 50 ml dark rum
- 225 g digestive biscuits, finely crushed
- cocoa powder, to dust
For the blackcurrant sorbet:
- 200 ml blackcurrant coulis
- 400 ml sugar syrup
- juice of ½ lemons
Tips and Suggestions
This recipe contains raw or lightly cooked eggs. Raw or lightly cooked eggs should not be served to young children, elderly people, invalids and pregnant women, because of the risk of salmonella poisoning
1. First make the blackcurrant sorbet. In a bowl, mix together the blackcurrant coulis, sugar syrup and lemon juice. Chill for 2 hours.
2. Transform to an ice cream or sorbet-maker and churn until the mixture freezes and thickens. Transfer to a lidded freezer-proof container and store in the freezer until serving.
3. Melt the chocolate with the butter in a heatproof bowl, suspended over a pan of simmering water.
4. In a mixing bowl, using an electric beater or whisk, beat together the eggs and caster sugar until creamy.
5. Beat in the melted chocolate mixture.
6. Fold in the chopped prunes, half of the walnuts, the rum and crushed digestives.
7. Turn the mixture into a 900g loaf tin, lined with greaseproof paper.
8. Decorate the top with the halved prunes and the remaining walnuts.
9. Cover and chill in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 12 hours.
10. Remove from the refrigerator half an hour before serving.
11. Dust with cocoa powder and serve with the blackcurrant sorbet.
Rate This Recipe