- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: plus 8 hrs 30 mins chilling time
- Effort: medium
- 250 ml red wine, medium bodied and fruity
- 150 g caster sugar
- 500 g dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids broken into squares
- 8 egg yolks
- 275 ml milk
- 225 ml double cream
- 15 g butter
For the Doughnuts:
- 75 g butter, softened
- 75 g sugar, plus extra for rolling the doughnuts in
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 30 ml milk
- 350 g flour, sifted, plus extra for dusting
- 100 g polenta
- 30 g baking powder
- oil, for deep frying
- whipped cream, to serve
1. First prepare the doughnut mixture. Cream together the butter and 75g sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Mix in the vanilla extract and milk.
2. Mix the flour, polenta, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the egg mixture and blend thoroughly. Cover the doughnut mixture and chill for at least 8 hours.
3. While the doughnut mixture is chilling, cook the Chocolate Wine Pots. In a saucepan heat together the red wine and 100g caster sugar. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer until reduced by two-thirds. Set aside to cool
4. In a large heatproof bowl suspended over a pan of simmering water melt the chocolate. Whisk in the red wine syrup then beat in the yolks one at a time making a smooth, thick chocolate mixture.
5. In a separate saucepan heat together the milk, double cream and remaining sugar to scalding point. Whisk the warm milk mixture into the chocolate mixture, blending well. Beat in the butter until melted.
6. Pour the chocolate mixture into 8 ramekins, cool and chill until set, at least 2-3 hours.
7. At least one hour before you wish to serve the Chocolate Wine Pots prepare the doughnuts. Generously flour a board, sprinkle the doughnut mixture with flour and roll out on the floured board to 2 cm thickness.
8. Using a 5cm round cutter cut out rounds of the dough. Place on a board, sprinkle with flour, cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
9. In a deep fat-fryer or wok heat the oil until very hot. In batches deep-fry the doughnuts until golden-brown. Using a slotted spoon remove and drain on kitchen paper. Roll the freshly fried doughnuts in sugar.
10. Serve the chocolate wine pots with freshly fried doughnuts and a scoop of whipped cream.
Rate This Recipe