- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: hard
For the chocolate wine
- 1.5 litres red wine, Maury or Banyuls
- 150 g milk chocolate, Valrhona Tanariva
- 375 g skimmed milk
- 24 g whey powder
- to taste Cabernet Sauvignon white wine vinegar
For the gold salt
- 10 g fleur de sel salt
- edible gold powder or gold leaf
Tips and Suggestions
whey powder is derived from milk, it is a concentrated and dried protein. It is largely responsible for milks ability to foam. Available from health food shops.
1. For the chocolate wine: pour the wine into a pan, bring to a simmer then set it alight. Let the flame burn out while simmering, and continue to reduce by half. Set aside and to cool to room temperature.
2. Chop the chocolate into small pieces and put in a bowl. Bring the milk to a simmer and pour over the chocolate. Stir until the chocolate has melted and combined with the milk.
3. Use a hand-blender to combine the chocolate milk with the reduced wine. Chill in the fridge.
4. Spin the mixture in a centrifuge at 4000rpm for 10 minutes to separate the heavy solids from the wine.
5. Decant through a sieve, then weigh the liquid. Calculate 3% of this figure and add that weight of whey powder to it, mixing with a hand-held blender. (This will give the chocolate wine a smooth, silky texture when heated). Set aside until needed.
6. For the gold salt: toss the fleur de sel salt in enough gold powder to coat it.
7. When ready to serve, heat one portion of the chocolate wine to 70C and add a few drops of vinegar to taste.
8. Pour half the mixture into glass and use a hand blender to froth the remaining liquid in the pan. Spoon over the liquid in the glass. Its important that the foam is spooned quickly on to the chocolate. Dont leave it to stand and become dry.
Rate This Recipe