- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 red pepper, roughly chopped
- 120 g chorizo, chopped
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- pinch dried red chilli flakes
- 2 x 400g tins plum tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 300 g penne pasta
- 200 g mozzarella
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pan and then gently cook the onion for 5 minutes until soft, add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
2. Add the peppers and chorizo and cook until the meat starts to crisp up. Stir in the balsamic vinegar, paprika, chilli if you want an extra kick, and the plum tomatoes.
3. Mix it well, breaking up the tomatoes then season with a teaspoon of sugar and salt and fresh black pepper to taste. Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Cook the pasta according to packet instructions, drain and then add to the pan of simmering sauce.
5. Tear the mozzarella into small pieces and stir half into the pasta mixture. Turn out into a large oven proof dish, and then dot the remaining chunks of mozzarella and then bake in the oven for 10 minutes until the cheese has melted.
6. Serve with a large green salad and garlic bread.
Rate This Recipe