- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the anchovy and olive toasts:
- 2 garlic cloves
- 200 g good quality black olives, pitted
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 salted anchovies
- 8 slices of white bread, crusts removed
For the Worcestershire glazed sausages:
- 20 chipolata sausages
- 2 tbsp honey
- 6 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- a few drops of tabasco
For the dips:
- 1 pot ketchup
- a few drops tabasco, or more to taste
- 1 small tub creme fraiche
- A few sprigs tarragon, chopped
- Half a bunch of chives, chopped
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
Tips and Suggestions
Don't make your canapes too big. They should be easily eaten in two polite mouthfuls. Don't assemble your canapes too far in advance as the bread will dry out, the topping will get absorbed, and things will look a lot less attractive. However you can get everything ready to be assembled beforehand. Prepare the spreads, snip the herbs and cut the bread (put this in a plastic bag and don't put it in the refrigerator).
1. For the anchovy and olive toasts: blitz the olives, anchovies, oil and garlic in a food processor adding enough oil to get a paste. Season to taste if necessary but remember the anchovies will be salty.
2. Roll out the bread until its fairly thin using a rolling pin. Spread the slices of bread with the mixture, sandwich with another slice of bread then fry in a little oil until golden brown on both sides. Remove and cut off the crusts then slice into fingers to serve.
3. For the Worcestershire glazed sausages: fry the sausages in a little oil in a large frying pan for about 5 minutes.
4. When coloured add in the honey, Worcestershire sauce and a dash of oil. Fry over a medium heat for 15 or 20 minutes until the sausages are cooked through and the glaze has reduced. The sausages should be well coated and sticky.
5. For the dips: mix the crème fraiche, chopped herbs and mustard together. In a separate dish, season and add a little Tabasco to the tomato ketchup and your dips are ready.
6. Serve the sausages with the mustard and ketchup dips.
Rate This Recipe