- Serves: 3-4 jars
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1.5 kg small, firm pears, , small
- 1 unwaxed orange, , peeled zest of
- 5 cm fresh ginger, , peeled and sliced
- 1 whole cinnamon sticks
- 3 whole star anise
- 1 tsp allspice berries
- 1 tsp whole cloves
- 450 ml white wine vinegar
- 250 g granulated sugar
1. Peel the pears, slice in half and neatly remove the core by scooping it out with a teaspoon or melon baller. Place in a saucepan and just cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Remove the pears from the pan, and measure 600ml of the cooking water into a jug. Tip away any excess water, and then return the 600ml to the pan along with the orange zest, ginger and spices. Bring to the boil and then add the vinegar and sugar. Stir until dissolved. Return to the boil and cook for a couple of minutes.
3. Add the pears to the pan, and cook in the liquid for about 10 minutes or until they are just tender when a skewer is inserted in the middle.
4. Remove from the heat and transfer the pears to sterilised jars. Pour over the liquid to completely cover the pears, and seal. Keep in a cool dark place for about 4 weeks.
Rate This Recipe