- Serves: makes about 18
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the fritters
- sunflower oil, for deep frying
- 300 g christmas pudding, approx quantity
- 115 g self-raising flour
- 25 g caster sugar
- 150 ml sparkling wine, chilled
For the cream
- 200 ml double cream
- 2 tbsp sifted icing sugar
- 1 tbsp orange liqueur, such as Gran Marnier
1. Heat the oil in a wok, deep heavy-based saucepan or deep fat fryer.
2. Crumble the Christmas pudding into a mixing bowl, before rolling it into bite-size balls (about the diameter of a £2 coin).
3. For the batter, whisk together the flour, caster sugar and sparkling wine.
4. Poke a cocktail stick through each Christmas pudding ball, dip into the batter to evenly coat and carefully drop into the hot oil - the cocktail stick can either be left in or slipped off while being dropped in the oil.
5. Cook the fritters in batches, removing each batch with a slotted spoon. Drain on absorbent paper.
6. To make the cream, simply whisk everything together until the cream has thickened to a dipping consistency; spoon into a small bowl.
7. Serve the fritters on a large plate, surrounded by the cream dip. Decorate with sprigs of redcurrants or festive holly.
Rate This Recipe