- Serves: makes about 65 cookies
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 1 hour chilling time
- Effort: easy
For the cookies:
- 375 g plain flour, plus more to dust
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp lemon zest, from an unwaxed lemon
- 125 g light soft brown sugar
- 250 g cold salted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg, beaten
For the topping:
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 50 g demerara sugar
- 1 egg
1. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl and add the zest and sugar. Rub in the butter until coarse crumbs form. Work in the egg, then knead on a lightly floured surface for two minutes, wrap in cling film and chill for one hour, or overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Sprinkle the dough with flour, place between sheets of baking parchment and roll out thinly. Peel off the parchment and cut out shapes - keep them to 56cm. Place on a lined baking tray, you will need to bake in batches.
3. In a bowl, mix the cinnamon and demerara. Brush each cookie with egg, then sprinkle with the cinnamon mix. Bake for 9-10 minutes, until golden, then cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight tin, they keep for up to four weeks.
Want to see more? Take a look at all of our Scandinavian recipes
Rate This Recipe