- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the candied fennel
- 500 ml water
- 250 g sugar
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 1/4 bulb fennel, thinly sliced, fennel tops reserved for garnish
For the sabayon
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp sparkling wine
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds only
- 1/2 tbsp cornflour
For the gratin
- 2 pink grapefruit, peeled and segmented
1. For the candied fennel: in a pan, heat the water, sugar and lemon juice together to make a stock syrup.
2. Add the fennel slices to the syrup and poach for 20 minutes until the fennel is caramelised and candied.
3. For the sabayon: bring a pan of water to the boil.
4. In a glass bowl, mix together the egg yolks, sugar, sparkling wine and the vanilla seeds. Place the bowl over the pan with the boiling water in it. Do not allow the water to touch the bowl.
5. Whisk the mixture continuously over the boiling water. After 2-3 minutes add the cornflour and keep whisking over the heat until a custard consistency has been reached.
6. For the gratin: arrange the grapefruit segments around the bottom of an ovenproof serving bowl. Spoon over the sabayon. Blowtorch or grill the top until golden brown and caramelised.
7. Arrange the candied fennel on top of the grapefruit, sprinkle with the fennel tops to decorate, and serve.
Rate This Recipe