- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 3 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 6 oysters, in their juices
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 4 tbsp red wine
- 3 pink grapefruit
- 3 oranges
- 10 lemon balm leaves, shredded
1. To open the oysters, insert an oyster knife firmly into the hinges of each shell and twist. The shell will loosen and open.
2. Discard the top parts of the shells and loosen the oysters from the lower parts by cutting them away. Put the oysters and their juices into a bowl and place in the refrigerator. Wash the remaining shells and set aside.
3. Place the shallots in a small frying pan, add enough red wine to cover them and simmer over a low heat for 2-3 minutes, until softened.
4. Meanwhile, peel the grapefruits and oranges with a sharp knife, removing all the pith. Hold the peeled fruit over a bowl and cut out the segments, letting the flesh and any fruit juices drop into the bowl. Discard the remaining pith.
5. Mix in the lemon balm, then the oyster juices and shallots.
6. To serve, place a spoonful of the fruit mixture in the bottom of each washed oyster shell and place an oyster on top.
Rate This Recipe