- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 10 mins infusing
- Effort: easy
- 500 g ready-made shortcrust pastry
- 50 g butter
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 200 g chestnut mushrooms, halved
- 1 bunches thyme
- 1 splashes white wine, for de-glazing
- 2 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- 500 g pre-rolled, ready-made puff pastry
- 1 eggs, beaten for glazing
- 4 sprigs parsley, to garnish
For the bechamel sauce
- 300 ml milk
- 1 blade mace
- 1 slices onions
- 4 white peppercorns
- 1 bay leaves
- 20 g butter
- 20 g plain flour
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 pinches black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Line a pie dish with 500g of shortcrust pastry, line with baking parchment, fill with baking beans and bake blind for 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, make the béchamel sauce. Place the milk, mace, onion, peppercorns and bay leaf in a heavy-based saucepan and slowly bring to simmering point. Remove from direct heat and set aside to infuse for 8-10 minutes. Strain through a sieve.
3. In a separate pan, melt 20g of butter. Remove from the heat and stir in the flour. Return to the hob and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat again and gradually add the strained milk to the mixture.
4. Return the sauce to the heat once more, add the mustard and stir continuously until boiling. Simmer, stirring well, for 2 minutes and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
5. Meanwhile, heat 50g of butter in a frying pan, add the chicken and fry until browned on all sides. Add the onion, garlic and mushrooms and fry until the onions have softened - about 5 minutes.
6. Add the white wine, stirring to deglaze the pan, and sprinkle in the chopped parsley.
7. Place the chicken mixture in the pastry-lined pie case and pour over the béchamel sauce. Cover with the puff pastry, pinching around the edges, and brush with egg wash.
8. Bake in the oven at 200C/gas 6 for 30 minutes until golden brown and serve hot from the oven with mashed potato.
Rate This Recipe