- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 1 hour chilling
- Effort: medium
For the pâte sablée
- 250 g plain flour
- 200 g unsalted butter, cut into dice
- 100 g icing sugar, sifted
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 drop vanilla extract, optional
For the lemon filling
- 7 eggs
- 7 egg yolks
- 320 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- zest of 5 lemons
- 375 g caster sugar
- 320 g unsalted butter
- 50 g icing sugar
- crème fraîche
For the pate sablee:
1. Sift the flour into a bowl and add the diced butter. Mix with your fingertips until you achieve a sandy texture. Do not overwork.
2. Sift in the icing sugar, add salt and mix with the fingertips.
3. Add the egg yolks and mix well using a fork, until the the mixture comes together as a dough.
4. Add the extract, if using, and knead 2-3 times.
5. Wrap in cling film and put in the fridge for 1 hour.
6. Preheat oven to 150C/gas mark 2. Line an 8 1/2 inch flan ring.
7. Grate the pastry into the case and press it down to form a base. Blind bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
For the filling:
1. In a pan over low heat, cook the eggs, yolks, lemon, sugar and zest until it starts to thicken. Slowly beat in the butter.
2. Pour the mix into the case and leave to set at room temperature.
3. Sprinkle with sifted icing sugar and glaze under a grill. Serve with the creme fraiche.
Rate This Recipe