- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 1 hour chilling
- Effort: easy
For the pastry
- 250 g plain flour
- 125 g cold butter, diced
For the filling
- 6 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 300 ml full fat milk
- 300 ml double cream
- 250 g gruyère cheese, grated
- 250 g smoked bacon, roughly chopped
1. For the pastry: sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the cold, diced butter.
2. Either use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, or use a food processor, adding enough cold water to just bring the dough together.
3. Lightly knead the dough into a ball. Wrap in cling film and chill for at least an hour.
4. Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
5. Remove the pastry from the fridge and roll it out to a circle large enough to line a 25cm flan tin. Use the rolling pin to lift the pastry into the tin, pushing it down the sides. Trim off any excess.
6. Line the pastry case with baking paper, fill with baking beans and bake blind for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the baking beans and baking paper. Reduce the oven to 180C/gas 4.
7. For the filling: mix together the eggs, egg yolk, milk and cream then stir in the grated cheese.
8. Scatter the bacon over the base of the tart then pour the egg mixture over the bacon and grind over some black pepper.
9. Bake the quiche in the oven for 20 minutes or until the filling is set and golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Rate This Recipe