- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 2 days marinating
- Effort: medium
For the trout
- 2 trout fillets
- 1/4 bunches dill, chopped
- 50 g coarse coarse sea salt
- 100 g caster sugar
- 2 tsp pink peppercorns, crushed
- 1 clementine, zest only
For the Raggmunkar (Swedish potato cakes)
- 2 good sized starchy potatoes
- 1 small bunches chives or spring onions, or spring onions, chopped
- oil or butter, for frying
For the hovmästarsås sauce (honey mustard sauce)
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 clementines, juice only
- 125 ml olive oil
- 1 good handfuls chopped dill
1. For the trout: Combine all the ingredients except the trout in a bowl and set to one side.
2. Take a long piece of foil and place it horizontally on to a baking tray.
3. Spread about a quarter of the dill mixture onto one end of the foil, you are going to wrap your fish in this so make sure you leave enough room.
4. Lay the first of the trout fillets skin side down onto the pickle mixture then cover that with another handful of the mix.
5. Take a second fillet and place on top of it, this time skin side up then sprinkle a last handful of the mixture on the top.
6. Tuck the fish into the edge of the foil then wrap the whole thing firmly in the foil rolling it up until you have a lovely neat package.
7. Lay your wrapped trout package on the tray and place a heavy weight on top.
8. You will need to leave this to marinate in a cold spot (the fridge or a cellar or balcony whatever you decide is best for you ) for about 2 days turning regularly.
9. When you are ready to serve the fish, remove from the marinade, slice thinly then lay on a serving plate.
10. For the raggmunkar (Swedish potato cakes): Finely grate the potato into ribbons and mix with finely chopped chives or spring onion if you are using them.
11. Leave in a bowl for about 10 to 15 mins with a sprinkling of salt.
12. Heat oil or butter in a heavy bottom frying pan and drop in tablespoons of the mixture into the hot fat fry on each side for 2-3 mins pressing flat with a spatula until golden and crispy on each side.
13. Lay on kitchen roll to soak up any excess oil, and then serve.
14. For the hovmästarsås sauce (honey mustard sauce): Mix all the ingredients except the oil and dill together in a bowl. Season with salt and freshly ground white pepper.
15. Gradually whisk in the oil until you have creamy consistency.
16. At the end add the chopped dill and serve drizzled around the sliced trout and raggmunkar.
Rate This Recipe