- Serves: 10-12
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus overnight soaking
- Effort: medium
- 450 g beef brisket, cut into 5cm chunks
- 225 g slab bacon, cut into 4 pieces
- 450 g beef marrow bones, cut into 3-5cm pieces by the butcher
- 225 g Spanish chorizo, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 1-1.5kg chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 small onion, peeled and studded with 3 cloves
- 1 head garlic, cut in half across the bulb
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp crushed black peppercorns
- 450 g dried chickpeas, soaked overnight in water to cover and drained
- 1 Savoy cabbage, cut into 8 wedges
- 450 g small boiling potatoes
- cooked noodles, chopped raw onion, and pickled peppers, to serve
1. Put the meats, bones, chicken, onion, garlic, bay leaves, and peppercorns in a large stockpot, cover with water, and bring to the boil.
2. Skim off the foam, add the chickpeas, lower the heat, cover, and simmer gently for 2 hours, or until the chickpeas are soft.
3. After 1.5 hrs, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the cabbage and potatoes, and cook until tender (about 25 minutes); drain and keep warm.
4. Ladle the broth from the meats into bowls (keep the meats warm in a little broth) and serve as a first course with the noodles, onion, and peppers. Serve the meats and chickpeas as a second course with the potatoes and cabbage, moistening everything with a bit of broth.
Rate This Recipe