- Serves: 1-2
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 110 g self-raising flour
- 1-2 x 120 g cans cockles
- 200 ml milk
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- smoked paprika
- lemon wedges
1. Sift the flour into a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the cockles and milk. Using a slotted spoon, lift the cockles from the milk and put them in the flour.
2. Toss the cockles in the flour and, once coated, tip them into a sieve and shake off any excess flour.
3. Heat the oil to 180C in a deep-fryer or deep saucepan (use a thermometer to check). Do not leave the hot oil unattended.
4. Fry the cockles in the hot oil until browned all over, then remove and drain on kitchen paper.
5. Season with salt and a pinch of smoked paprika, and serve hot with mayonnaise and lemon wedges
Rate This Recipe