- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 5 minutes plus chilling
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 12 green cardamom pods
- 150 ml single, double or regular cream
- 75 g caster sugar
- 2 leaves of gelatine or 2 tsp powdered gelatine
- 1 x 400 ml tin coconut milk
- 1 mango, peeled and cut into slices, to decorate
1. Place the cardamom pods on a chopping board, lay the flat side of a large knife over the top and press down to lightly crush. Remove the seeds (discarding the pods) and crush to a powder with a pestle and mortar or place in a plastic bag and use a rolling pin to crush them.
2. Place the crushed seeds in a saucepan and add the cream and sugar. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar. When the sugar has dissolved, remove from the heat and leave to infuse.
3. If using powdered gelatine, place this in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of water and leave in the fridge for 34 minutes or until the mixture becomes sponge-like in consistency. If using leaf gelatine, place the leaves in a bowl, adding just enough cold water to cover, and set aside for 5 minutes or until the gelatine has become very soft.
4. Empty the tin of coconut milk into a large bowl, whisking it to get rid of any lumps. Place the cream mixture back on a medium heat just to heat through, then remove from
the hob. If using powdered gelatine, mix the spongey mixture in with the coconut milk. If using leaf gelatine, remove from the water, allowing any excess to drip off, then stir into the coconut milk. Mix together thoroughly, then pour the coconut milk and gelatine through a sieve onto the cream mixture and stir to mix.
5. Divide between 4 small cups or glasses and chill in the fridge for about 3 hours or until just set. Serve topped with some mango slices.
Rate This Recipe