- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 250 ml chicken or fish stock
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 3 lime leaves
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised
- 1 small red chilli, split lengthways
- 4 white fish fillets, each 175g
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
For the cucumber salad
- 2 large chillies, seeded and finely sliced on the diagonal
- 30 g fresh coriander
- 0.5 small red onions, finely sliced
- 5 g fresh mint leaves
- 20 g mangetout, blanched and finely sliced
- 0.5 cucumber, cut in half lengthways and diagonally sliced
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
1. Place the stock, coconut milk, fish sauce, sugar, lime leaves, lemon grass and chilli in a large saucepan over a medium high heat. Boil for 10 minutes, then lower the heat and bring to a simmer.
2. Add the fish and poach for two or three minutes or until the fish starts to flake when lightly pressed with the edge of a fork.
3. Remove the fish from the pan, cover and set aside.
4. Reduce the sauce for another five minutes over a high heat until thickened slightly.
5. Strain and stir in the lime juice. Pour over the fish. Any leftover poaching liquid can be served in small soup bowls as a delicious accompaniment.
6. To make the cucumber salad, place all the ingredients except the dressing in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
7. For the dressing, mix all of the ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine. Toss through the cucumber salad before serving.
8. To serve, garnish the fish with extra lime leaves and serve with the cucumber salad and some steamed rice.
Rate This Recipe