- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus soaking
- Effort: easy
- 100 g desiccated coconut
- 100 g mixed candied peel, chopped
- 1 tsp lemon zest, finely grated
- 2 tsp orange rind, finely grated
- 4 tbsp milk, and 2 tbsp sweet sherry (or substitute 6 tbsp milk)
- 150 g butter
- 150 g caster sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 175 g self-raising flour, sieved
- 85 g glacé cherries
- 225 g sultanas
1. Put the coconut, peel, fruits, milk and sherry into a bowl and leave to soak for at least an hour, or up to two, if you like very soft coconut.
2. Set the oven to 160°C/gas 2. Lightly butter a 20cm cake tin.
3. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
4. Add the eggs, a little at a time and then add the flour.
5. Stir in the soaked coconut mixture, together with the liquid in which it was soaked.
6. Stir in the cherries and sultanas.
7. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for about 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and firm on top.
8. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, and then turn out and leave to cool completely.
9. Store in an airtight tin.
Rate This Recipe