- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus cooling and freezing
- Effort: medium
- 75 g lightlight muscovado sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp arrowroot
- 600 ml whipping cream
- 55 g desiccated coconut, toasted until golden brown
For the banana butterscotch sauce:
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp lightlight muscovado sugar
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 bananas
- squeeze of lemon juice
1. First make the ice cream. Put the muscovado sugar, egg yolks and arrowroot into a mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon.
2. In the meantime, mix the coconut and whipping cream together in a heavy-based saucepan and heat gently. Do not boil.
3. Pour the hot coconut cream over the egg yolk mixture and mix well.
4. Rinse the saucepan that contained the coconut cream.
5. Pour the whole mixture back into the saucepan and place over a gentle heat. Stir until the mixture is just before boiling point, taking care not to let the mixture actually come to the boil.
6. Strain the coconut mixture into a bowl and leave to cool. When it is cool, stir in the desiccated coconut just before freezing.
7. Churn the coconut mixture in an ice cream maker, following the manufacturer's instructions until it freezes and thickens into ice cream.
8. Spoon the mixture into two cleaned coconut shell halves and place in the freezer.
9. If you don't have an ice cream maker, pour the mixture into a large plastic container and put into your freezer. Leave to freeze for 1 hour.
10. Remove and beat with a whisk to break up any ice crystals. Then replace into the freezer. Repeat this process a couple more times, then spoon the ice cream into the coconut shells, smooth over then leave to freeze completely.
11. Remove the coconut ice cream from the freezer and place in your fridge for 10 minutes before serving to soften.
12. While the ice cream is softening make the banana butterscotch sauce. In a small, heavy-based saucepan, heat together the butter, muscovado sugar and golden syrup, stirring often, until the sugar is dissolved and the ingredients well mixed.
13. Boil for a minute, and then stir in the bananas and lemon juice. Serve warm either over or beside the ice cream.
Rate This Recipe