- Serves: Makes about 20
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 1 hour chilling time
- Effort: easy
- 5 large egg whites
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 430 g dessicated coconut
- 250 g caster sugar
- 150 g raspberry jam, or strawberry jam
1. Preheat the oven to 170C/150C fan/gas 3. Grease a 20cm square cake tin and line with a strip of baking parchment, leaving a 5cm overhang so that you can remove the macaroon easily.
2. Put the egg whites, salt and vanilla extract into a clean bowl and whisk until frothy. Add the coconut and caster sugar, and mix with a wooden spoon until very well combined.
3. Take half the macaroon mixture and press it into the prepared tin, using the back of a spoon to ensure an even, tightly packed layer. Spread the jam evenly over the base layer of coconut and then add spoonfuls of the macaroon mixture across the jam. Use a spoon to level the mixture out, sealing in the jam.
4. Bake for 40 minutes, or until the top of the macaroon is a light golden colour. Allow to cool completely in the tin, then chill for 1 hour. This will firm up the macaroon a little and make it easier to remove and cut.
5. Lift out the macaroon using the sides of the baking parchment and put onto a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut into squares or triangles to look like sandwiches.
This recipe was taken from Edd Kimbers Say it with Cake.
Rate This Recipe