- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 tbsp olive or sunflower oil
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, quartered lengthways
- 1/2 medium onion, finely sliced
- 12 fresh curry leaves
- 200 g basmati rice
- 250 ml coconut milk
Tips and Suggestions
Rinse the rice in seveal changes of water and leave it to soak before cooking it - this will stop the grains sticking together
1. Place a small, heavy-based pan about 18cm in diameter with a lid over a medium heat.
2. Pour in the oil and when its hot, add the fenugreek seeds. Stir for 5 seconds and allow to darken just a little before adding the garlic, onion and curry leaves.
3. Stir for 5 minutes until the onion softens and starts to brown at the edges. Mix in the rice, then add the coconut milk, 250ml of water and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Stir gently and bring to a boil.
4. Cover tightly and cook on the lowest heat possible for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the pan sit, undisturbed, for 10 minutes.
5. Uncover, fluff through with a fork, and serve.
Rate This Recipe