- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus standing and cooling time
- Effort: easy
- 2 tbsp sticky rice or sushi rice
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 egg yolks
- 50 g caster sugar
- 50 ml double cream
- 1½ tbsp demerara sugar
1. Combine the rice, half the coconut milk, the cinnamon and 100ml water in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
2. Turn off the heat and leave to stand, still covered, for a further 10 minutes, until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
3. Divide the rice mixture between two 150ml ramekins.
4. Preheat the oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2.
5. Heat the cream and remaining coconut milk in a small saucepan. Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks with the caster sugar until light. Whisk the hot cream into the yolk mixture, then pour over the rice in the ramekins.
6. Place the ramekins in a small roasting tray and add enough boiling water to the tray to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Carefully transfer to the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until almost set (there should be a slight wobble).
7. Remove the ramekins from the oven and allow to cool completely in the roasting tray.
8. Sprinkle the top of the puddings evenly with demerara sugar and caramelise, either using a cook's blowtorch or under a very hot grill. The tops of the puddings should be golden brown and crisp.
Rate This Recipe