- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus resting and freezing
- Effort: medium
For the mango sorbet
- 4 ripe mango, halved and stones removed
- 175 g icing sugar
- 2 lemons, juice only
- 400 ml water
- 10 g gelatine, soaked in 3 tbsp water
- 200 ml evaporated milk
For the pancakes
- 110 g plain flour
- 1 egg
- 300 ml milk
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp oil
For the filling
- 350 ml water
- 175 g desiccated coconut
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
1. Make the sorbet first: scrape the flesh from the mangoes and put in a pan with the icing sugar, lemon juice water and a pinch of salt.
2. Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved completely and bring to the boil. Stir in the soaked gelatine, then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
3. Add the evaporated milk, stir well and leave to cool before transferring to a freezerproof container. Freeze, taking it out a few of times to break up the ice crystals with a good stir, until frozen. Failing that the sorbet can be mixed and made in an ice cream machine.
4. To make the pancakes: sift the flour into a large bowl. Add the egg, milk, sugar and a pinch of salt. Whisk to a smooth batter, and then add the oil and leave to stand for 30 minutes.
5. To make the filling: Bring the water to the boil in a pan and add the coconut, sugar and a pinch of salt. Simmer over a medium heat for 20 minutes.
6. Heat a dry pancake pan until quite hot and add 2 tablespoons pancake batter. Tilt the pan all round so that the batter spreads to cover the bottom of the pan.
7. Cook until bubbles rise on the top of the pancake, then turn it over (it should be nicely browned on the underside) and cook the other side until it is also lightly browned. Remove the pancake from the pan and transfer to a plate.
8. Wipe the pan clean with a wad of kitchen paper and continue cooking pancakes in the same way until all the batter is used.
9. To serve: fill each pancake with 2 teaspoons filling, fold over and serve with the sorbet.
Rate This Recipe