- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 360 g cod fillets
- black pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 shallots, thinly chopped
- 500 ml white wine
- 500 ml double cream
- 4 g grain mustard
- 100 ml whiskey
- 100 g spinach
- 25 g butter
- 40 g tomatoes, skinned, de-seeded and finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
2. Season the cod with salt and freshly ground pepper.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a heavy-based frying pan until hot. Add in the cod and fry for 2 minutes on each side.
4. Transfer the cod to a roasting tray and bake for 7-8 minutes until opaque.
5. Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in the heavy-based frying pan. Add in the shallot and fry until golden brown. Add in the white wine and the cream. Cook briskly, stirring, until reduced.
6. Mix in the whisky and grain mustard and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
7. Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add in the spinach and blanch for 10 seconds. Drain, squeeze dry and toss with the butter.
8. Place the buttered spinach in the centre of a warm serving plate. Top with the cod and pour over the whisky mustard sauce. Sprinkle over the tomato and serve at once.
Rate This Recipe