- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the pudding
- 150 ml full-fat milk
- 450 ml double cream
- 50 ml strong coffee, (ideally espresso)
- 1 vanilla pods, cut open
- 2 eggs
- 5 egg yolks
- 50 g unrefined caster sugar
- 6 croissants, stale
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 175 g raisins, preferably Californian
For the topping
- 150 ml whipped cream
- 50 g dark chocolate, grated
- 1 dashes of icing sugar, to dust
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Put the milk, double cream, coffee and opened vanilla pod into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
3. Whisk the eggs, yolks and caster sugar together.
4. Slice the croissants in half lengthways.
5. Using 25g of the butter, grease an ovenproof dish big enough for four servings.
6. Spread the remaining butter on to the cut sides of the croissants.
7. Lay half of them on the base of the dish, butter side up. Sprinkle with raisins and lay the rest of the croissants on top.
8. Let the boiled cream cool a little, and then pour it into the egg mixture, stirring all the time. Return the mixture to the heat and stir, when it starts to thicken, remove it from the heat at once.
9. Strain half the mixture over the croissants and allow to soak in for 15 minutes. Then carefully pour in the rest, until all is added.
10. Sit the dish in a roasting tin filled three quarters the way up with water. Cook for 30 minutes or so, until set.
11. Pipe a line of whipped cream up the middle of the pudding, sprinkle the grated chocolate over the cream and dust the whole thing with icing sugar. Serve immediately!
Rate This Recipe